February 6, 2007
An appeal for help from Iraqi women
Radical Women recently received an appeal from Houzan Mahmoud, the representative abroad of the Organization of Women’s Freedom in Iraq. As international revolutionary feminists, RW has worked in solidarity with OWFI to build awareness of the dire and horrific situation facing women and working people in Iraq due to the U.S. occupation and rising fundamentalist reactionary forces unleashed since the war.
Ms. Mahmoud is coordinating an international campaign to demand that the Kurdistan regional government not insert “Article 7” into the proposed Kurdistan constitution. Article 7 would make Islamic Sharia the official law of the land. The effect of this language will be to institutionalize even more discrimination and violence against women, non-religious and ethnic groups in Iraq and further the erosion of civil rights. RW strongly supports OWFI’s call for a secular, egalitarian constitution in Kurdistan, an end to gender apartheid, and an immediate halt to the U.S. occupation.
Here are three things you can do to help:
- Ask your friends, contacts, coworkers and organization’s members to sign OWFI’s online petition condemning Article 7.
- Write letters in support of OWFI’s campaign to repeal Article 7 and in favour of the separation of religion from the state and education, as well as equality and freedom for women. Please see the attached call for where to email your letters of support.
- Circulate this action alert and the attached call for support letters to other activists, contacts, women’s groups, organizations, civil liberties advocates and unions.
For more information about OWFI, visit www.equalityiniraq.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about Radical Women in the U.S. or to help circulate this action alert, visit www.RadicalWomen.org, email NatRadicalWomen@aol.com or call 415-864-1278.
Radical Women, U.S. Section
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Action alert from the Organization of Women’s Freedom in Iraq:
Please send letters to support our campaign to remove Article No 7 from the proposed constitution for Kurdistan
To all women's group, secularist organisations, trade unions and political activists, we need your help to prevent Islamic Sharia law being implemented in Kurdistan.
In December, we declared a campaign to repeal Article 7 from the proposed constitution of Kurdistan. In our view, Article 7 clearly states that Islam is the main official religion, and that laws should be based on it.
As we said then, this will only lead to the violation of the most fundamental and basic liberties of the people of Kurdistan, and most of all undermine the rights and freedoms of women. We thank all of you who have already signed our petition: you have been a great support for our campaign.
Please forward it to all your lists if you can.
Now we are asking organisations and activists to write letters in support of our campaign to repeal Article 7 and in favour of the separation of religion from the state and education, as well as equality and freedom for women.
Please send your letters of support to one of the following email addresses:
The initiators of this campaign:
- Houzan Mahmoud: representative abroad of Organisation of Women’s Freedom in Iraq (and campaign coordinator): email@example.com
- Marywan Halabjaee: Writer and researcher: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sozan Shahab: Member of Kurdistan Parliament: email@example.com
- Nadir Abdul Hameed: political personality living in Denmark: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Goran Abdulla: coordinator of Dangakan.com website: email@example.com
- Sakar Ahmad: activist and writer of a book titled "Victims of Honour Crimes": firstname.lastname@example.org