December 31, 2010
Happy New Year from Radical Women!
2010's been quite a year! There have been many assaults from government and the right, but the year has also been marked by female stalwarts leading serious and creative efforts to repel these attacks.
Radical Women has been in the thick of these struggles and we thank you for contributing your support, ideas, time, and dollars to help us collectively achieve so much. Together, we have furthered the rights of women and the survival of the most vulnerable in these tough economic times. We exercised our united political muscle with a combination of radical analysis and grassroots action. Here are some examples of what Radical Women and supporters like you achieved together:
Every single chapter of Radical Women -- New York City; Seattle; Portland, Oregon; San Francisco Bay Area; Los Angeles; Melbourne, Australia -- took part in those efforts. We've learned a lot, strengthened alliances and made new friends -- which is good, because 2011 brings more opportunities for organizing! As corporations make record profits and politicians of both parties sell public wealth to the highest bidder, it's time to say no more business as usual. We need an independent, multi-racial, militant feminist movement that can stop the decimation of social services and the continuous U.S. war on the world. We need -- as individuals and as a movement -- to be audacious, serious and radical.
- Agitated in unions and on street corners to oppose balancing government shortfalls on the backs of workers, the poor and the jobless.
- Fought to preserve and expand public education through participating in student and staff walkouts, door-to-door mobilizing, and endorsing a speaking tour by a Puerto Rican student organizer.
- Worked to build united fronts to defend immigrants and oppose rising racism and Nazis.
- Denounced political witch-hunts and police murders; demanded release of jailed radical activists Lynne Stewart, Mumia Abu-Jamal, and Lex Wotton.
- Continued the still raging battle to win and retain abortion rights.
- Sent socialist feminist representatives to the U.S. Social Forum in Detroit and the Encuentro Nacional de Mujeres (National Gathering of Women) in Argentina.
- Stood firm in defense of the liberation of Palestine, stopping U.S. wars, and ending violence and repression against women worldwide.
If you agree, please step up your involvement with Radical Women. You are needed! Check us out at www.radicalwomen.org, contact a local chapter or email the National Organizer. You can also learn more about RW through The Radical Women Manifesto, an exhilarating exploration of Marxist feminist theory and organizing methods.
And don't forget to donate! As a community-based group, Radical Women survives on the contributions of people like you. The money you give will help expand revolutionary feminist organizing. Just click here to contribute online or mail a check, payable to "Radical Women" to 5018 Rainier Ave. S., Seattle, WA 98118.
National Executive Committee